We are not saying the m-word yet, but it will come soon. We actually DID slip and say the word a week ago, at which time there were a few tears and general sulking. None of us are particularly enthused to leave our home and friends. Actually, I had anticipated staying here until all the kids were grown and my knees told me it was time for a "rambler", so I am still trying to convince myself that this is all okay. Indeed, I'm trying really hard to make myself look forward to it.
The key is not to think about boxing, taping, marking and arranging every detail and trinket in our home and saying goodbye to special neighbors, among other things. I was actually having some success by not thinking in general about it.
That all changed today when I saw a neighbor moving out. I stopped to chat. I thought nothing was selling and that there was no hope, so we shouldn't worry about it for a few more months. You know, all the media hype about a terrible housing market crisis etc. and declining home sales, had me convinced we might actually be here in five more years--and if that long, then maybe forever.
Back to the story. I stopped to chat. He told me that his house is about the same price range as ours. He had the house on the market for only 2 months (the worst time of the year to sell, at that). It sold for full asking price. He had three offers on the table before he accepted one. After all this, I told him, "Wow." What more is there? Could he really be living in the same era I am? Everything on the news is doom and gloom. Yet, here he was with a success story, and hope that there were more buyers out there. Not of my faith, he humbly admitted that he was truly blessed. I was impressed. Maybe blessings could be catching. If they follow hope, then they definitely are contagious, because he gave me hope.
I am hoping for a quick and painless sell, a smooth transition to a home we will enjoy for a long time, good neighbors to get to know, and a private area we can give to my parents as perpetual guest quarters just for them. In our price range. Asking too much? I don't know, but I can hope!
So anyway, we won't say the m-word just yet, but it will be coming soon. For now, our kids are being told that we are painting, sprucing, washing, and rearranging just because that is what we do as responsible homeowners. They don't need to know that we aren't naturally this responsible. :)
3 comments:
Good luck with all of it!
Seriously? What can I say? Would DON'T GOOO! work? I hope, whatever happens, that you find yourself really happy with the results.
And for the record, I love to move. Two more years here and I'll be ready to say farewell to Oak Lane in search of newer pastures.
The biggest motivation to consider the M-word is that my job is changing offices from downtown Salt Lake City to Riverton, an extra 30 minutes to the commute each way. It won't take effect until May, but we have learned that you can't time a house sale very easily.
Post a Comment